32 Fashion Tips & Tricks That Will Change Your Life!
When it seems like you've tried just about every fashion and clothing care tip under the sun, here we come along with a Hawthorne approved list of tricks you have to try! From getting out stains to lengthening your torso, we've got the 411. Comment below with your favorite hack that might not be on the list!
- Use white wine to remove red wine stains. Our wine tumblers are also a great way to prevent stains with that portable lid- great for the beach, am I right?!
Wash new jeans twice before taking them to the tailor. Why? Because jeans will always shrink in length when washed.
- Remove odors from vintage or thrift clothing by spritzing them with a mixture of one part vodka, two parts water.
Remove white deodorant marks from a garment by gently rubbing the protective foam used on hangers against the fabric.
- The best at-home method to keep diamonds sparkling: liquid dishwasher detergent and an old toothbrush.
- The best way to de-fuzz a sweater: use a pumice stone.
- Snap clip-on earrings onto flats for an instant evening shoe, or onto shirt collars for DIY embellishments.
- If you get wax on a piece of clothing, layer wax paper over the hardened wax and then run an iron over it to loosen it up. Once you pull off the paper, the wax should come right out with it.
- Pour a dash of vodka into vase water to extend the life of your flowers.
- Spray tights with sticky (read: cheap) hairspray to avoid holes and runs.
- Shopping for a wedding dress or another big-event outfit? Head to the store with makeup on, proper undergarments, and your hair semi-done to get a better sense of how it’ll look.
- Double-stick tape works to shorten a hem in a pinch if you can’t get to the tailor before an event.
- Blot, don’t rub, when you spill something on your clothes. Wiping or rubbing will actually further ingrain the stain into the weave.
- Use hairspray to remove a lipstick stain.
- Add a 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar to the final rinse cycle while doing laundry to maintain the wash of your favorite pair of dark jeans.
- To stretch tight shoes, fill two freezer bags with water and place into each shoe. Let it freeze overnight. As the water freezes, it’ll gently expand your shoes. We've got some pretty cute shoes online and in stores :)
“A flattering silhouette begins with the right underpinnings. Never underestimate the power of Spanx—they’re a girl’s best friend!” — Lucy Sykes Rellie, Fashion Director, Rent the Runway
- If blush or bronzer breaks in your handbag, pre-moistened makeup removing wipes will clean up the loose powder flawlessly
- Break in stiff or too-snug shoes by slipping them on with socks and blasting your feet with a hot hairdryer
Chic up a sporty puffer vest by pairing with a fun striped shirt and statement necklace. Our Round Neck Stripe Raglan is perfect for the job!
Unless they’re cropped or tapered, pant hems should just graze the tops of your shoes and be from 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch off the floor. Our colored skinnies are always a great addition to any wardrobe!
- Ideally, a pencil skirt should hit just at the top of your knee. Any lower and it will start to shorten your leg.
Pants a bit too tight? Let them air dry and stretch the waistband by hand (or with a hairdryer) while they’re still damp.
Don’t underestimate the power of a well-fitting, stylish winter coat. You can be wearing pajamas underneath and you’ll still look perfectly put together.
- Windex restores the glossy sheen on patent leather without doing any damage.
- The power of a silk pillowcase isn’t a myth: Not only do they prevent “sleep crease,” they’re much, much gentler on your skin and hair.
- Don’t buy items you know you won’t properly care for. For example, if you know you’re never going to hand-wash that delicate cami or beaded sweater, don’t buy it.
V-neck sweaters and tees give the illusion of a longer torso. Our snap cardigans pair perfectly with any outfit and will definitely elongate your torso.
- Freeze jeans inside a plastic bag for two days to zap odor without running them through the washing machine.
- Looking for an easy trick to make your bare legs look longer? Try pumps the same color of your skin, which gives give the illusion that your legs extend a few extra inches.
- “It’s a myth that loose styles flatter a large bust or a plus-size woman. The area just under the bust is a woman’s smallest torso measurement, so emphasizing it with a structured waistband that hits higher than your natural waist will make you look a size smaller.” —BG Krishnan, President, eShakti.com
- There's nothing cooler than sticking to your signature style, you know looks good on you. Slaves to fashion are never chic!